My Goofed-Up Life

Do you know how it feels when a Chipmunk gets surrounded by more than a thousand eagles and he has nowhere to run? Well... that’s how I felt when I was surrounded by thousands of spectators in the engagement of my girlfriend. And the feeling was worsened after hearing those five words by her. But this was not the only big mistake I had committed in my life.

Let me start by saying that Surabhi and I had been dating for more than 7 years. Being from different castes, our parents had a lot to say about not letting us get married but somehow, we made it work and we were crazily in love and THAT was my first mistake-to love a person from different caste. I was quite happy with my life as Surabhi was also well settled in her work and we were planning to get married soon. However, one unfortunate day my parents died in a car crash and that changed the whole picture. I got completely depressed and aloof, I declined to talk to anyone including Surabhi. The accident got so much to my nerves that I finally quit my job and went for a quite time alone in the woods. As the days went by the only thing that I thought about in the woods was her, and even though I knew how much I have hurt her by abandoning her like that, I knew she missed me too.

So as soon as I got into my senses after a year, I went back to get my girl only to find her house completely decorated. A waiter confirmed my fear that it was an engagement celebration. As the reference of Dil Chahta Hai I guessed I could create the same scene but unfortunately, in a party with Punjabis and DJ, it doesn’t work that way. So finally in an act of desperation I climbed up the stage and took the mic and started talking. To my horror, I could see everyone except Surabhi and I knew it then itself that I was going to join my parents soon.

“Surabhi!,” I said, “I am sorry! I am sorry that I have done so bad with you. I am sorry that I abandoned you and I left you like that. But I also know that the only person who could understand why I did that, is you.”

I saw Surabhi coming to the front of the crowd completely dressed up giving me the strength to go on. “I am an idiot to do such a thing to my best friend and the love of my life, but I didn’t know what else to do. Whatever good happened in my life was because of you, and I just left you like that. But Surabhi... I am an orphan now...” I didn’t realize by now I was tearing up. “My parents are dead.. I was never able to tell them how much I loved them... and the only person I had in my life was you.. and I left you too.. and now it’s too late. I will not ask you to leave the wedding and come with me, because I have abandoned you once.. I know I am not trustworthy, and I am sorry.. I am so sorry.” I saw few ladies in the crowd reaching to their handkerchief but I wasn’t sure if I was convincing enough to get the girl. “You have full right to be mad and I don’t deserve you. I just HAD to come and say sorry in front of everyone and tell you that I wish you all the best in your life. I messed up big time and now I will never get a chance to be with you. I am so sorry!”
As I put down the mic and wiped off my tears, Surabhi came to the stage and hugged me in front of her whole family. I was shocked and relieved at the same time but the worst and most humiliating thing happened after that as Surabhi said those 5 words...


“IT IS NOT MY ENGAGEMENT.”

Comments

Popular Posts