Providence

My teacher thought, it would be smart, in our grade 3
to give us each a seed to grow, and teach responsibility

I knew I would be great at that since I had practice
My mum would let me plant all seeds on our big terrace

I chose a spot that was perfect for not too hot or cold
where sun would not burn all the leaves while bugs wont find abode

I planted it and waited for the seed be sprouting soon
while other kids just had no clue to dig with fork or spoon

I fenced the plot and then made sure it was nicely decorated
I saw some sprouts on other plots while I waited... and waited

All plots later had all their sprouts while I sat empty handed
Some hated plants, some watered wrong or left theirs in the sun stranded.

I saw teachers clapping for them and praising them a lot
While those same eyes showed pity and shame when they would see my plot

For weeks I thought that God is mad for not combing my hair?
While later I got mad at God for being so unfair.

One day I looked up from my plot to see on the far end
A girl sat there with an empty plot and following the trend

I wondered why I never knew she was there all along
I was so focused on my plot and crying for so long

I stood up from my plot and went along to sit with her
I wiped her tears from sleeves I had and shared my lunch with her

We laughed and played hopscotch a lot, took turns to push at swings
And all the kids working with plants envied us and our zing

We did enjoy the whole recess unlike the ones who aced
Cause even though we had no plant we had a friend embraced

Comments

Popular Posts