I Promise

When I was growing up, there was a toothpaste commercial for a brand "Promise". Every time my sisters would make a causal promise and then not keep it, they would defend their behavior by saying "oh I was only talking about the toothpaste, not an actual promise". It was annoying and hilarious at the same time. With that approach, I don't remember how many times I have used "I promise" in a casual conversation, with or without keeping it, and I never felt that I did anything wrong. Many years went by, and once on a hiking trip with my friends and their kids, I was walking and holding hands with the oldest Arianna, who was 5 years old at the time. We came across a wooden bridge which looked flimsy and very high. Arianna looked back to look at her mother with concern in her eyes, as she was unsure we should go that way. Her mother was walking behind us slowly, with Arianna's younger sister, and looking the other way. I could clearly see Arianna was afraid. Before her mother could reach us, I looked right in her eyes and said "Arianna, I will never let anything happen to you, I promise!". Even though I meant it, those words didn't hold as much weight for me as Arianna's eyes reflected. Her smile and sudden sparkle in the eyes showed me that she was positively reassured. We crossed the bridge right after, and she didn't even flinch. I realized how much power those words carry at that very moment. From then on, I never used those words unless I was absolutely sure I can keep them, and retain their worth. A five year old taught me the value of the words we use. Now every time I use "I promise", I see Arianna's sparkling eyes with full trust in me and confidence in her to cross that bridge. 

Comments

Popular Posts