Sky is the limit

I am big on "women can do anything". Especially because I have two daughters who chose an unconventional career in this "man's world". One of them is in the marine corps and the other one is a law enforcement officer. I remember how much heat I had to face from my relatives on sending them for their training because apparently those jobs are not meant for women. Of course in my time, I used to feel the same, because of my surroundings, but now I can see how much the world has evolved and so have I. After my retirement, I used to stay alone in my house while my daughters were happily married and settled in their respective field stations. One day my car broke down and I had to take it to a new repair shop, since they were having promotions for repairs. The moment I entered the building, I saw a beautiful young lady in uniform in front of me. She opened the doors for me and then went inside to join the reception. Similar pretty ladies were all around the counters. I couldn't help but wonder, "The girls are only employed in this place so they could pretty up the reception as all the mechanics would have to be men". I would know, my husband knew all about cars and I absolutely knew nothing. Same goes for any women I knew. I waited in the waiting room till they fixed my car and after a while, I was called to a window where the mechanic will discuss the details of the repairs with me. I went to the window and there was a girl standing there. Her bright white uniform and hands were soiled with grease and dirt and she was wiping off her hands and face with a towel to clean off the sweat and grease. Her hair was in disarray but she still wasn't anything less than beautiful. She told me all about my car, what she did and how much it is going to cost but I couldn't say a word to her. After a while, she gathered that something was bothering me. She looked at me and asked "Is there a problem". I sheepishly replied "Yeah, and apparently I am a part of it".

Comments

Popular Posts