Out of Sight

How important is it for you to have a friend in your life? Maybe a lot. But how important it is for the person to have YOU as their friend is all it depends on. I know people who are friends for the last 20 years or more and they still pick up from where they left off whenever they meet. I wasn't that fortunate in my life. I had thousands of "friends" till my high school and a couple of million more by the time I graduated college and then many more with each successive job. At work as well I was the most popular person. But all this doesnt mean I had friends. I just had an illusion of a "friend".

You see the moment you move on with your life, you leave behind some people and the challenge is to meet those people after a certain time (not on social media) and still get them to remember you, share your stories and laugh about them. My problem was that I moved alot since kindergarden because of the nature of my mother's job. But whenever I used to come back to the town I was previously in and meet someone that I knew, the most common conversation would include "Do you remember me?" followed by "I am sorry man, I dont think I do.". Yeah! It doesn't make you feel that good does it? I wondered why they do it? I mean even if they don't remember can't they just say that they do? Just to make the other person feel better. I try to train myself to not care anymore if people stop to care for the friendship I invested in, but then again, by the end of the day, it hurts every time. My friends were like in some kind of alternate universe which I knew existed at some time, but now since I am out of their site, I am out of their mind.

How many people we know on a daily basis, that you know were your good friends before but are now just on social media and thats all the relationship you have left with them. People are so busy that you have to "think" to call someone on a weekend and most probably you end up not calling them at all.

Currently, I write fictional books for a living and I was at a book signing for my latest Novel where one of the person waiting for getting their book signed came up to me and said "I am so psyched to be here today. I was in your class in school do you remember me?"
I had no idea who that person is so I looked at that person smiled and said "of course I do!"

Comments

Popular Posts